Ph.D. Electrical and Computer Engineering (2003),
Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA
Dissertation: “Feasibility of Smart Antennas for Small Wireless Terminals”
Dissertation Advisor: Dr. Jeffrey H. Reed
M.S. Electrical Engineering (1995), Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA
Thesis: “Wideband Electromagnetic Characterization of Portland Cement Concrete”
Thesis Adviser: Dr. Sedki M. Riad
B.Sc. Electrical and Electronic Engineering (1991)
Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET), Dhaka, Bangladesh
Majors: Microwave & Microprocessor and Artificial Intelligence.
United International University, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Dean, School of Science and Engineering [Sept 2019-current]
Professor, EEE Dept [Nov 2014-Current]
Associate Professor, EEE Department [June 2009- October 2014]
Head, EEE Department [May 2012-June 2017]
Director, Bangladesh Submarine Cable Company Limited (BSCCL)
Participating in activities of Board of Directors [2010-2014]
Qualcomm Inc., San Diego, USA
Senior Engineer [October 2004- May 2009]: Involved in Standardization Efforts, Performance Specifications regarding UMTS and cdma2000 wireless standards.
Mobile and Portable Radio Research Group (MPRG), Virginia Tech, USA
Post-Doctoral Research Associate [September 2003-Octoer 2004]:
Smart antenna algorithms for 3G Handset and WLAN applications; MPRG Lab, Virginia Tech. Research interests include: Wireless communications with focus on smart antenna applications, Signal processing and DSP prototyping of communications systems, Software radio, WLAN, Ultra-wideband measurements and wireless communications standards.
Lecturer: Electrical and Electronic Engineering Dept., BUET [Jan ’92 – Aug. ’93].
Taught Measurement and Instrumentation, Electric Circuits. Instructed Electric Circuit Lab, Electronic lab, Machine Lab, Transmission and Distribution system lab
Mobile and Portable Radio Research Group (MPRG), Virginia Tech, USA
- Post-Doctoral Research Associate [September 2003-Octoer 2004]: Smart antenna algorithms for 3G Handset and WLAN applications; MPRG Lab, Virginia Tech. Research interests include: Wireless communications with focus on smart antenna applications, Signal processing and DSP prototyping of communications systems, Software radio, WLAN, Ultra-wideband measurements and wireless communications standards.
- Graduate Research Associate, EE Dept. at Virginia Tech: [1997-2002]:
- Participated in different wireless communications projects sponsored by ITT, NSF, Texas Instrument (TI), LGIC, Samsung and Navy.
- Algorithm development for smart antenna for wireless communication applications: Developed several smart antenna algorithms both at the transmitter and the receiver with focus on handset or WLAN devices. Algorithms have been developed for flat fading and frequency selective fading channels. Some of these algorithms have been studied for implementation in the 3G standard and WLAN applications.
- Antenna array hardware development:
Design of Virginia Tech Space Time Adaptive Receiver and Transmitter (VT-START)[2001-present]: Currently working on the initial design of a wideband Multiple Input Multiple Output (MIMO) testbed that will include 4 or more antennas on both ends of the link. This testbed is expected to characterize different propagation environments and assess performance improvement through antenna array processing for high data rate applications.
Design of Virginia Tech Space Time Advanced Radio (VT-STAR)[2000-present]: Worked as a team member in the design and development of 2-element by 2-element real-time Space-Time modem for MIMO channel measurements and verification of different transmit and receive diversity algorithms in various propagating environments. Developed custom interface boards for DSP interface and worked on TI TMS320C67 platform for algorithm implementation.
Wideband transmit diversity testbed development : Developed and demonstrated wideband transmit diversity at the handset for a two-element transmit antenna array system. This involved operating two wideband modems in synchronization to represent the transmit-array and a vector channel wideband receiver. Led a member of three to develop and demonstrate the testbed.
Handheld smart antenna testbed design : Implemented interference rejection capability at the handset for a spread spectrum signal by employing smart antenna. The research encompassed both simulation study and implementation at hardware level. The hardware implementation extensively relied on fixed point DSP programming on TI TMS320C541 and different levels of custom interface design.
- Project management
Samsung [2003-2004]: Lead the algorithm development for 2D Rake structures at the handset for WCDMA applications.
NAVCIITI [2001-2002]: Participated and managed a team of graduate students involved in algorithm development, hardware verification and propagation measurement.
ITT [1997-1998]: Demonstrated interference rejection capability with smart antenna at the handset on a DSP platform.
- Propagation measurements: Conducted various vector channel measurements at the handset, at both narrowband and wideband. Studies include measuring fading profiles, cross-correlation between antenna elements, and assessing diversity performance in different indoor and some outdoor-to-indoor environments.
- Work with Digital Signal Processors (DSP)
TMS320C6701: Implemented Space-Time processing
TMS320C541: Implemented and demonstrated handheld smart antenna
TMS320C30: Implemented various communications algorithms.
- Work with 3rd Generation System: Antenna array in W-CDMA with focus on algorithms and implementations.
- Work with WLAN System (802.11b): MIMO algorithm development for WLAN applications.
- Proposal Writing: Participated in Proposal writing for smart antenna projects and space-time processing applications.
Time Domain Laboratory, Virginia Tech [1993-1995]
- Wideband measurement and characterization: Wideband electromagnetic material characterization by time-domain techniques. This involved signal processing of wideband pulses and working with state-of the-art instruments like HP Network Analyzer 8510 B, Tektronix Digital Sampling Oscilloscope 11801.
Journals and Magazine:
- M. Siddiqui, F. Akther, G. M. E. Rahman, M. M. Elahi, R. Mostafa, and K. A. Wahid, “Dimensioning of Wide-Area Alternate Wetting and Drying (AWD) System for IoT-Based Automation,” Sensors, vol. 21, no. 18, p. 6040, Sep. 2021 [Online]. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/s21186040
- Mohanad Alkhodari, Mamunur Rashid, Mohammad Abdul Mukit, Khawza I. Ahmed, Raqibul Mostafa, Sharmin Parveen, and Ahsan H. Khandoker. “Screening cardiovascular autonomic neuropathy in diabetic patients with microvascular complications using machine learning: a 24-hour heart rate variability study.” IEEE Access, vol. 9, pp. 119171-119187, 2021, doi: 1109/ACCESS.2021.3107687.
- Simanto Saha, Khondaker A Mamun, Khawza Iftekhar Uddin Ahmed, Raqibul Mostafa, Ganesh R Naik, Sam Darvishi, Ahsan H Khandoker, Mathias Baumert, “, “Progress in Brain Computer Interface: Challenges and Potentials.” in Frontiers in Systems Neuroscience 15, pp. 4, Feb 2021, doi: 10.3389/fnsys.2021.578875..
- Simanto Saha, Md Hossain, Khawza Ahmed, Raqibul Mostafa, Leontios Hadjileontiadis, Ahsan Khandoker, Mathias Baumert, “Wavelet entropy-based inter-subject associative cortical source localization for sensorimotor BCI”, Frontiers in neuroinformatics, Vol 13, 2019.
- ASA Huque, KI Ahmed, MA Mukit, R Mostafa,” HMM-based supervised machine learning framework for the detection of fECG RR peak locations”, IRBM, Vol 40, pp: 157-166, 2019.
- Simanto Saha, Khawza Iftekhar Uddin Ahmed, Raqibul Mostafa, Leontios Hadjileontiadis, Ahsan Khandoker, “Evidence of variabilities in EEG dynamics during motor imagery-based multiclass brain–computer interface”, IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, Vol 26, pp: 371-382, 2017.
- Ahsan H. Khandoker, Veena Luthra, Yousef Abouallaban, Simanto Saha, Khawza IU Ahmed, Raqibul Mostafa, Nayeefa Chowdhury, and Herbert F. Jelinek. “Suicidal ideation is associated with altered variability of fingertip photo-plethysmogram signal in depressed patients.” Frontiers in physiology8 (2017): 501, doi: 3389/fphys.2017.00501.
- Simanto Saha, Khawza I. Ahmed, Raqibul Mostafa, Ahsan H. Khandoker, and Leontios Hadjileontiadis. “Enhanced inter-subject brain computer interface with associative sensorimotor oscillations.” Healthcare technology letters4, no. 1 (2017): 39-43, doi: 1049/htl.2016.0073..
- Ahsan H. Khandoker, Veena Luthra, Yousef Abouallaban, Simanto Saha, Khawza I. Ahmed, Raqibul Mostafa, Nayeefa Chowdhury, and Herbert F. Jelinek. “Predicting depressed patients with suicidal ideation from ECG recordings.” Medical & Biological Engineering & Computing55, no. 5 (2017): 793-805, doi: 1007/s11517-016-1557-y..
- Raqibul Mostafa, Ramesh C. Pallat,Uwe Ringel, Ashok A. Tikku and Jeffrey H. Reed, “Closed-loop Transmit Diversity Techniques for Small Wireless Terminals and Their Performance Assessment in a Flat Fading Channel,” Electronics and Telecommunications Research Institute Journal (ETRI Journal), Vol. 34, No. 3, June, 2012, pp.319-329.
- R. Mostafa, G. M. Hasan, A. Kabir, A. Rahman, “Proposed Framework for the Deployment of Telemedicine Centers in Rural Bangladesh” International Journal on E-Health and Medical Communications (IJEHMC), 2(1), January-March 2011, pp. 55-72.
- Raqibul Mostafa, A. Annamalai, and Jeffrey H. Reed, “Performance Evaluation of Cellular Mobile Radio Systems with Adaptive Interference Nulling of Dominant Interferers,” IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol. 52, No. 2, February 2004, pp. 326-335.
- Raqibul Mostafa, R. Gozali, R.C. Palat, M. Robert, W.G. Newhall, B.D. Woerner and J.H. Reed, “Design and Implementation of a DSP-Based MIMO System Prototype for Real-time Demonstration and Indoor Channel Measurements,” EURASIP Journal on Applied Signal Processing 2005:16, 2673–2685.
- R. Khan and R. Mostafa, Calculation of the wave functions in the space charge region of a double-barrier resonant tunneling diode, with applications, Solid State Electronics, vol. 36, No. 11, pp. 1619-1622, 1993.
- S. Ahmad, S. Rabbi, R. Mostafa, A. R. Bhuiya, Development of an expert system for restoring the service interrupted by sustained faults in a distribution system, Electrical Power System Research 26, pp. 101-108, 1993.
- Raqibul Mostafa, Fakhrul Alam, and Kyung Kyoon Bae, “3G- Around the world and back again,” cover story in RF Design, February 2002, pp. 52-66..
- Mohammad Golam Morshed, Mohammad Abdul Mukit, Khawza Iftehar Uddin Ahmed, Raqibul Mostafa, Sharmin Parveen, Ahsan Habib Khandoker, “Heart rate variability analysis for diagnosis of diabetic peripheral neuropathy”, 2020 IEEE Region 10 Symposium (TENSYMP), pp. 1253-1256.
- Tuba Ahmed, Mohammad Abdul Mukit, Khawza I Ahmed, Raqibul Mostafa, Sharmin Parveen, Ahsan Habib Khandoker, “Effective Segmentation on 24-hour Holter Recording for Classifying Microvascular Complications of Type II Diabetes Mellitus”, 2020 IEEE Region 10 Symposium (TENSYMP), pp. 1282-1285.
- Aan Nazmus Sakib, Raqibul Mostafa, “Improvement in Reverse Link Capacity and Handoff for a UAV in a CDMA Cellular Network using Directional Beampattern”, 2018 10th International Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering (ICECE), pp. 133-136.
- Md Shakhawat Hossain, Simanto Saha, Khawza I Ahmed, Raqibul Mostafa, “cMEM-based motor imagery induced cortical source localization for computationally efficient brain computer interface”, 2017 IEEE Region 10 Humanitarian Technology Conference (R10-HTC), pp. 542-545.
- Khan Wahid, S. M. Lutful Kabir, Haider A. Khan, Abduallh Al Helal, Mohammad A. Mukit and Raqibul Mostafa “A Localization Algorithm for Capsule Endoscopy based on Feature Point Tracking”, MediTec 2016.
- Saha, K. I. Ahmed and R. Mostafa, “Wavelet coherence based channel selection for classifying single trial motor imagery,” 2016 9th International Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering (ICECE), Dhaka, Bangladesh, 2016, pp. 467-470.
- Khandoker, V. Luthra, Y. Abouallaban, S. Saha, K. Ahmed, R. Mostafa, N. Chowdhury and H. Jelinek, “Identifying depressed patients with and without suicidal ideation by finger photo-plethysmography,” 2016 38th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), Orlando, FL, 2016, pp. 1842-1845.
- Saha, K. I. Ahmed and R. Mostafa, “Unifying sensorimotor dynamics in multiclass brain computer interface,” 2016 5th International Conference on Informatics, Electronics and Vision (ICIEV), Dhaka, 2016, pp. 530-535.
- Khandoker A.H., Luthra V., Abouallaban Y., Saha S., Ahmed K.I., Mostafa R., Chowdhury N., and Jelinek HF. “Reduced Variability in Pulse Wave Velocity and Heart Rate in Depressed Patients with Suicidal Ideation”, Computing in Cardiology 2015; vol 42: pages 1061-1064. (publisher: IEEE).
- Tasnova Tanzil Khan, Nadia Sultana, Rezwana Binte Reza, Raqibul Mostafa, “ECG feature extraction in temporal domain and detection of various heart conditions”, 2015 IEEE ICEEICT.
- M.A Ehsanur Rahman, Md. Abdul Mukit, R. Mostafa, K. I. U. Ahmed, Murtaza Ali, “Development and Demonstration of a Prototype e-ECG System for Telemedicine Application” accepted in SKIMA 2014.
- ASM Mominul Hasan, Md. Fayyaz Khan, Raqibul Mostafa and Azizul Kaium, “Feasibility Study on Electricity Generation from Poultry Litter Based Biogas in Bangladesh” accepted in ICDRET 2014.
- Raqibul Mostafa, Rakib Hassan, M. Khadija Jahan, Sanjida Chandan and Farhana Ali, “Proposed System Design for Deployment of an e-Learning System in Rural Bangladesh” published in ICEEICT2014.
- Sujan Chandra Sarker, Md. Arif, Abinash Chakma, Uttam Kumer Roy and Raqibul Mostafa, “Smart Meter Assisted Electric Energy Management Schemes for Power Distribution and Residential Customer Usage”, published in ICEEICT2014.
- GMA Ehsan ur Rahman, Khawza I Ahmed, Raqibul Mostafa, Md. Fayyaz Khan, “A Novel Smart Metering System for Loss Reduction and Efficient Load Management in the Power Distribution Sector of Bangladesh” The 2nd International Conference on Advances in Electrical Engineering, 2013 (ICAEE 2013) December 19-21, 2013.
- Rubayatur Rahim Bhuyian, Raqibul Mostafa, Md. Fayyaz Khan and Umama Zobayer, “Application of Smart Grid Techniques for Effective Control in a Mini-Grid System,” 2nd International Conference on the Developments in Renewable Energy Technology (ICDRET 2012), Jan 2012, pp. 210-213.
- Hamid Khan, Md. Fayyaz Khan and Raqibul Mostafa, “Solar PV as an effective alternative to Oil based lamp in the Rural Bangladesh,” 2nd International Conference on the Developments in Renewable Energy Technology (ICDRET 2012), Jan 2012, pp. 375-378.
- Mostafa, G.M.A. E. Rahman, G. M. Hasan, A. Kabir, A. Rahman and S. Ashik, “Proposed Deployments to Provide E-Healthcare in Bangladesh: Urban and Rural Perspectives”, 12th International Conference on E-Health Networking, Application and Services (IEEE HealthCom2010), 2010, pp. 361-366.
- Raqibul Mostafa, Poonam Khanna, Woo Cheol Chung, Jin Woo Heo, Jeffrey H. Reed and Dong Ha, “Performance Evaluation of 2D Rake Algorithms for WCDMA-DL Applications at the Handset”, IEEE RAWCON 19-22 Sept. 2004 Page(s):367 – 370.
- Fakhrul Alam, L. Patrick Cheung, Raqibul Mostafa, W.G. Newhall, B.D. Woerner and J.H. Reed,” Sub-band Beamforming for OFDM System in Practical Channel Condition”, VTC-2004 Fall, Volume 1, 26-29 Sept. 2004 Page(s):235 – 239.
- Raqibul Mostafa, Kai Dietze, Richard B. Ertel, Carl Dietrich, Jeffrey H. Reed, and Warren L. Stutzman, “Wideband Characterization of Wireless Channels for Smart Antenna Applications,” RAWCON 2003, pp. 103-106.
- Raqibul Mostafa, Max Robert, and Jeffrey H. Reed, “Reduced Complexity MIMO Processing for WLAN (IEEE 802.11b) Applications,” RAWCON 2003, pp. 171-174.
- G. Newhall, R. Mostafa, C. Dietrich, C. R. anderson, K. Dietze, G. Joshi and J. H. Reed, “Wideband Air-to-Ground Radio Channel Measurements Using an Antenna Array at 2 GHz for Low-Altitude Operations”, IEEE MILCOM, Volume 2, 13-16 Oct. 2003 Page(s):1422 – 1427.
- G. Newhall, R. Mostafa, K. Dietze, J. H. Reed and W. L. Stutzman, “Measurement of Multipath Signal Component Amplitude Correlation Coefficients Versus Propagation Delay,” 2002 IEEE Radio and Wireless Conference (RAWCON2002), 133-136.
- Gozali, R. Mostafa, R. C. Palat, P.M. Robert, W.G. Newhall, B.D. Woerner and J.H. Reed, “MIMO Channel Capacity Measurements Using the VT-STAR Architecture”, VTC’ Fall 2002, pp. 884-888.
- Fakhrul Alam, Raqibul Mostafa, Bing-Leung (Patrick) Cheung, Brian D. Woerner and Jeffrey H. Reed, “Frequency Domain Beamforming for OFDM System in Practical Multipath Channel”, Accepted in International Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering, December 26-28,2002, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Mostafa, K. Dietze, R. C. Pallat, W. L. Stutzman, and J. H. Reed, “Demonstration of Real-time Wideband Transmit Diversity at the handset in an Indoor Wireless Channel,” VTC Fall 2001, pp. 2072-2076.
- Mostafa, A Hannan, J. H. Reed, “Narrowband Transmit Diversity Measurements at the Handset for an Indoor Environment,” 3rd International Conference on Information, Communications, and Signal Processing, Singapore, 2001.
- Gozali, R. Mostafa, R.C. Palat, S. Marikar, P.M. Robert, W.G. Newhall, C. Beaudette, S.A. Tsiakkouris, B.D. Woerner and J.H. Reed, “Virginia Tech Space-Time Advanced Radio (VT-STAR)”, RAWCON 2001, pp. 227-231.
- Mostafa, N. D. Tripathi, and J. H. Reed, “DSP Implementation of Communication Systems,” TI DSPFest, Houston, August 2000.
- Biedka, C. Dietrich, K. Dietze, R. B. Ertel, B-K. Kim, R. Mostafa, W. Newhall, U. Ringel, J. H. Reed, D. Sweeney, W. L. Stutzman, R. J. Boyle, and A. Tikku, “Smart Antenna for Handsets,” TI DSPFest, Houston, August 2000.
- Mostafa, W. Su, S. M. Riad, and I. L. Al-Qadi, “TEM Horn Antenna Design and Concrete Material Characterization,” presented at the XXV-th General Assembly of the International Union of Radio Science, Lille, France, August 28 – September 5, 1996. (INVITED)
- Su, R. Mostafa, S. M. Riad, and I. L. Al-Qadi, Characterization of Concrete Material using TEM Horn Antenna, Proc. of National Radio Science Meeting, Colorado, pp: 140, 9-13 January, 1996.
- Al-Qadi, I. L., Mostafa, W. Su, and S. M. Riad, “Measuring Dielectric Properties of Concrete: New Methods,” Structural Materials Technology: An NDE Conference, Hartsbower, P. E. and P. J. Pstolarski, Eds., San Diego, CA, Feb. 1996, pp. 16-27.
- Su, R. Mostafa, S. M. Riad, and I. L. Al-Qadi, Dielectric Characterization of Concrete Slabs using TEM Horn Antenna, Proc. of National Radio Science Meeting, Colorado, pp:34, 3-7 January, 1995.
- L. Al-Qadi, S. M. Riad, R. Mostafa and W. Su, Design and Evaluation of a Coaxial Transmission Line Fixture to Characterize Portland Cement Concrete, Proc. 6th Int. Conf. Structural Faults and Repairs, UK, pp. 337-347, 1995.
- I. L., Al-Qadi, W. Su, S. M. Riad, R. Mostafa and O. Hazim, Coaxial Fixture Development to Characterize Portland Cement Concrete, Proc. of Symp. on Time Domain Reflectometry in Environment, Infrastructure and Mining Applications, SP 19-94, Illinois, pp. 443-452, 1994.
- Raqibul Mostafa, Ran Gozali, William G. Newhall, Ihsan Akbar, Dr. Jeffrey H. Reed, Dr. Brian D. Woerner and Dr. William H. Tranter “Navy Collaborative Integrated Information Technology Initiative,”, MPRG-TR-01-11, Quarterly Technical Reports, 2001-2004.
- Ran Gozali, Raqibul Mostafa, P. Max Robert, Ramesh C. Palat, William G. Newhall, Dr. Brian D. Woerner and Dr. Jeffrey H. Reed, “Design Process of the VT-STAR Multiple-Input Multiple-Output (MIMO) Test Bed”, MPRG-TR-01-12, Technical Report, August 2001.
Invited Keynote Speaker
- Raqibul Mostafa and Rezwan Khan, “Telecommunications in South Asia: Status and Future Potential”, National Seminar on Power and Communication Sector Development- 2010 Kathmandu University, Nepal.
- Raqibul Mostafa, “Telecommunications”, in Short Course on Wireless and Mobile Communication for Sustainable Rural Developments hosted by Islamic University of Technology (IUT), 18-21 November, 2013.
- Robert J. Boyle, Ran Gozali, Raqibul Mostafa, and Fakhrul Alam, “Space-time Processing Approaches for 3G Wireless Systems,” 11th Annual MPRG/Virginia Tech Symposium on Wireless Personal Communications, June 2001.
- Raqibul Mostafa, R. Banerjee, Y. Wu and A. A. Khan, Departmental Seminar on 3G Standards, Spring 1999.
Senior Member, IEEE.
Former Vice Chair, IEEE COMSOC BD chapter
Wireless Communications, Antenna array processing, Biomedical signal processing.
Further interests include engineering and general education